Sunday, October 21, 2012

"Hatchling Hairband"




Hatchling hairband
By Arundhati Hoskeri
Fascinating
Exciting baby
Crocodile with
Bulging eyes
Wide open mouth
Long jaws
Sharp denture

Protective armour
Glittering  skin
Cold blooded
Warm hearted
Creepy Hatchling
Adorned my head
I was of course

An instant celebrity
Light -Camera- Action
I enjoyed all that attention
Soon the baby
Picked up my heat
Grew active
Slid down my shoulder

Squirmed on my neck
Tickled with his claws
Then I panicked
Shunned him down
With frenzy shriek
16-10-2012
4:00 pm
On 10th October I was at Bentota -Srilanka. After enjoying the adventurous and  crazy water sports we were enjoying a boat ride, in the lap of nature, cutting through the mangroves. That is when one of the boat attendants quickly picked up a hatchling or a baby crocodile when our boat was moving along the shores, to get into the canopy of Mangroves and asked if any body wanted to touch. The baby looked so beautiful , so charming that I instantly fell in love with him and asked the boatman to put him on my head. For a few minutes he seemed to  enjoy the comfort / warmth of my hair, then slowly moved down my neck and shoulders, when his claws mildly scraped my skin, it was a weird tickling sensation and he started moving down, then quickly I shrieked and let him run down. I have just put this experience in the form of a poem. 

1 comment:

  1. You have superbly summed up your experience. You should take up writing as your main profession

    ReplyDelete